09 September 2008

New York, Part I

Ok, it's time for an update!

Went to NY with the beau, stayed with a good friend in Chelsea and basically walked/ate our way around Manhattan! No complaints though - it was a great trip and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only drawback was a hernia the whole time (still have it!), but despite the pain we had some good eats.

And some not so good eats...

Here's the low down!

Started on the Friday afternoon with a stop at Pommes Frites, as recommended by our friends R & J. For those who don't know French, the name means Fried Potatoes and gives away the entire menu. What it DOESN'T say is that the good stuff is the five bazillion sauces that you can dip the fries in. I went for Mexican Ketchup, chipotle and a rosemary parmesan - I can't recall what Ed and P. ate but we agreed across the board - delicious but way way too much. No one needs that many fries!



And a note to you, gentle reader - you should have more edibles going in ya than just a few biscotti from Porter (although they ARE freakin good biscotti) and some fries for a whole day of walking. Learn from my errors, grasshopper.

Anyhoo, we walked all over - Union Square, went to Strand bookstore (first of many visits there), walked more, bought some pants and generally sightseed. Sightsaw. Sightsawed. Dinner resos for Park Avenue Summer. I did feel a little bad here - it's a terrific looking place with a top notch serving staff, so when the waiter asked if I wanted a cocktail and said they had everything, I didn't expect him to be floored when I asked for a caipirinha. Oh well. I ended up with a mojito. Ordered the Dr. Pepper baby back ribs. Delicious sauce, but not hot from the oven/grill. I wish they were :( I recommend the loos here, just fantastic.

Walked around a while on the way home and passed the busiest freakin hot dog stand I've ever seen, made only stranger by the nearly empty stand less than 40 metres away. No insight for you there, gentle readers, other than people know what they like. And people will stand in line for anything.



We ended up at ColdStone for ice cream, and sadly I could not finish my delicious Peanut Butter Concoction.



Morning saw us at a place around the corner from Ed's - Cafeteria. A spot made famous by Sex in the City. Now I'm not a huge fan of the show and basically don't know it from Adam, but it was another nice looking spot with great matchboxes and crappy coffee. Adequate service and a good green eggs and ham, although I did have Plate Envy over P's meal of huevos rancheros. Avoid the loos here.



From there, we hit Central Park. LOVE LOVE LOVE that place.



We walked, did the carousel,



Which apparently is scarier for some than others! ;) Although there WERE a lot of scary clown faces all around it. We walked plenty and generally took all of the same photos. All that Ansel Adamsing made us hungry so we hit Bouchon Bakery.

A bit of a wait for a table but it was made ok by the best hostess in scads. She was terrific. Both the beau and I had very high hopes for Bouchon, and we weren't disappointed. I had a turkey sandwich. Sounds plebian but it wasn't. P had a lobster roll. Also delicious. And we couldn't resist dessert - I had a raspberry meringue thingy and P had a chocolate profiterole thingy. The names escape me (I know, I should write them down!) but the tastes linger on in happy memory... Suffice it to say that I recommend it . The loos here were ok, but far from the tables.
This is what you look like after you lick your plate clean of lobster.


Mine!

The Schmear is supposed to be there.



Sitting in a lake of chocolate. Yes, please.

After P got some treats for the hounds back home (who were in J & J's capable hands) as well as some treats for later from the bakery, we started wandering again. Hit the Apple store. FAO Schwartz. Walked Broadway and Times Square. Meandered. And found ourselves in the Meat Packing District for our next dinner reso - at Son Cubano.



Son Cubano was a reco from one of P's colleagues at work and we didn't really know what to expect. But it turned out to be a highlight. We got a table inside, ordered some drinks and a round of tapas. Albondigas, yuca, pasteles, chorizo and croquetas.



Scrumptious. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And good drinks. And a fine, fine cup of cafe cubano to close it down.

Didn't check the loos here, so can't report.

Ok, off to bed now, but I'll fill in Part II tomorrow! Have a great night, and dream big.

4 comments:

Rocker said...

Goodness. Now I want to go back to NYC. Please tell me you made it to Nyonya. Pommes Frites is great, but I think Nyonya would have been my top recommendation.

As for the shmear in the ice cream bowl - never shmear with red or brown sauces. Nasty.

More pics please!
hugs
R

Baba Jeff said...

MWAH HA HA HA! I can't tell you yet, you'll have to wait!

I totally agree. P and I are watching reruns of Top Chef and one of the judges made the same comment about a chocolate schmear.

Readers, if you're thinking about it, don't. Just don't.

Jacalicious said...

the little ball shaped tapas at Son Cubano, are they potato and what are they called? I think I had them recently and loved them.

Also, what flavour of ice creams did you have?

I'm hungry

Baba Jeff said...

Mmmm, those little balls were good. They're called croquetas, and I think you can make them with potato but these weren't (goat cheese and hazelnut, mmmmm). I think it's croquettes in french?

I had peanut butter cup/chocolate, and I can't recall what Ed or Patrick ate but they were exceedingly happy with their choices