01 July 2008

Home cooking

Right off the bat, let me admit to something - I LOVE home cooking. Don't misunderstand, restaurant food is terrific. I enjoy gastronomical splendour just as much as the next foodie. But I'd rather eat a Jamie Kennedy burger than an Adria waft of norwegian blue parrot. And for that matter, I'd rather eat a burger from a backyard BBQ... That goes for entrees (pork chops in mushroom sauce, chicken a la king, beef stroganoff), desserts (wacky cake, nanaimo bars, pineapple upside down cake or fruit crumble), or appetizers (friends of mine brought homemade chili poppers to a potluck - jalapenos filled with Philly cream cheese wrapped in a bacon slice and baked. They FLEW off the platter, and rightly so!)

Why do I bring it up? A couple of reasons: two people in the past two weeks have felt bad about having a fondness for the less adventurous foods out there, and I just had another friend get all hoity about "Leave Mac & Cheese to those who can't spell Chateaubriand". And no, he's never had chateaubriand...

People - there's nothing in the world wrong with Mac and Cheese. I like it. Even KD, although I prefer the PC white cheddar variety. I lived with a superwoman named Joanne, and she would always cringe at what I did to it, mind you. I add tuna, broccoli, garlic, green onions, etc - brussel sprouts if they were handy. It would be a lazy man's casserole in a pot. DELICIOUS!

Back to the train of thought... Pork chops with a can of Campbell's mushroom over em make me salivate, I've been thinking of making chicken a la king this week, and I'm feeling for peanut butter cookies with a forkprint on top. This is good food, mes amis, if not GREAT food. Food does follow phases - we saw a brief stint of home cooking brought to the restaurant a few years ago but then it's faded. No one wants to pay $30 for a plate of Mac. At least I don't.

We've got Summerlicious coming this week, that's what started it. Where should we go for sampling goodness? So many great places to try - I'll keep you posted on where we went and how it was, don't fret! I'm as happy in a little Mexican hole in the wall like El Rey de Popo (RIP) as I am with Auberge or Colborne Lane, and I don't judge if we make dinner plans and you suggest Tacos el Asador (in fact, please suggest it!). No harm, no foul. Eat what you want, and I'll support you.

Amazing how long one can go on, eh? Eat drink and be merry, folks! And if you've got some good home cooking recipes to share, I'm all ears...

Happy Canada Day - btw! 141 and looking H O T

4 comments:

Unknown said...

No harm, no fowl?
I'd love to cross-post your Summerlicious bit to CETO. What do you think?

Baba Jeff said...

You bet!

HORRIBLE pun, btw. Thanks :)

Jacalicious said...

Home cooking rules. i'm glad you think so because sometimes I feel ashamed of my deep love for comfort food. My mother cooks (and I attempt to approximate) the best mac n cheese in the world. She can also cook chateaubriand (sp?) and therefore I think this makes your point well. Anyhoo it has pemeal bacon, sharp white cheddar, sour cream and sauteed onions in it, and it pleases even the toughest crowd, even with out the restaurant-gourmet typical additions of truffle or brie...

Baba Jeff said...

Man o MAN do I want some of your mom's mac and cheese! That sounds fantastic, I'm salivating bigtime.

I think truffles might be a bit wasted with M&C, but the brie might be good. Things to try, things to try...