18 July 2008

Take that, heart!

Ok, there's nothing like a challenge... 

Going through an old cookbook, photocopied from my grandmother's stash and passed on to me by my Dad and Jan - it's Doukhobor cooking (Called Symbols of Faith: Bread, Water and Salt). 

I've found a recipe for Impossible Pie. And one for Vareniki Casserole. The boyfriend and I will be eating well this coming week, I tell you what. If you'd like a place at the table, let me know and I'll plan ahead :) 

Beyond a preponderance on the old Doukhobor women to use Name Brand yeasts, Kraft cheeses and more Crisco than God, there's another theme in this book, other than which Baba can get more airtime. There are the old traditional versions, and then the Lazy/Man's version of them. Maybe I'll do both side by side to compare... 

OK, here's Lazy Vareniki Casserole. Vareniki, for those who don't know, are what Russians call perogies. 

Vareniki Casserole

9 lasagna noodles 2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups mashed potatoes 1 cup cheddar, shredded
1 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup (or more) butter

Cook noodles according to package directions. Mix cottage cheese with egg and salt. Place 3 noodles in the bottom of a pan, spoon the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Cover this with 3 more noodles, and then mashed potatoes and shredded cheddar. Salt and Pepper. Cover with the last of the noodles. Saute the onions in some butter until soft and clear. Pour over noodles. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350. 

Serve with sour cream. All credit goes to Mrs. Anne P. Dergousoff for this gem. 

Ok, for those of you who have not yet been to my house for a Russian Christmas Party, you might not know what you're in for. My friend Joel came away from one year smelling of fried onions and butter for a week, and I swear to God I could smell sour cream on him for that whole time as well. The Holy Trio of Doukhobor food, no doubt of it. 

On to Impossible Pie! 

Impossible Pie (Makes its own crust!!)      <----- (sic)

1/2 cup melted butter 4 eggs
1 cup sugar 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup flour 1 tsp vanilla
2 cups milk 1 tsp ground nutmeg

Put all ingredients into a blender. Mix well. Pour into an ungreased large pie pan. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Thank you, Mrs. Pearl Lazaroff of Canora - I'm looking forward to trying it! 

And one more, just because I love you all so! 

Bachelor Cake

Filling
3 eggs, well beaten 1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter 3 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla 1 cup soft butter
3 tbsp strong hot coffee

Beat until fluffy. Line a 9x13 with graham wafers. Spread a layer of filling on the wafers, then more wafers on top. Make three layers of filling and then graham wafers. 

Topping
1 egg 1 tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla dash of baking powder
1 cup icing sugar 1.5 oz. melted chocolate
1/4 cup canned milk

Mix, and spread thinly enough over the graham crackers. Top with walnuts. 

Needless to say I won't, but I may try almonds! 

Enjoy - I'll be back with more goodness anon. 


No comments: