21 July 2008

The Rain in Toronto falls mainly on my laundry...

What a great weekend. All around.

The last of the summerliciousness happened Friday - met Patrick and three of his bosom buddies (Mary, Tim & Jay) for Mexican goodness at Milagro. I must admit, I wasn't expecting much (of the dinner, his friends are terrific) - when it comes to Mexican in Toronto I really haven't been impressed at all. You're welcome to refer a great place if you like, in fact I wish you would! Or better still, take me there and let's eat! But back to the subject at hand...
Not only Mexican in Toronto, but just south of the theatre district in TO - usually restaurants there are expensive with a focus on getting you in and out fast, not on the quality of either the service or the food. The location was good, the decor nice overall - what can I say? I like Mexican wrestling. The prix fixe menu covered the country from Yucatan to Puebla, and coast to coast. I like that. The drinks were pricey - I don't like having to pay 13$ for a marg, esp when I've got primo tequila at home. It was scrumptious, though.

Had the Sopa de tortilla azteca (pasilla infused tomato broth), then the cochinita pibil (pulled pork yucateco style) with refritos and tortillas and then a rice pudding (mexican style) for dessert. We also opted for extra appys, ordering some guacamole with tortillas and some ceviche (P LOVES ceviche. If you want to bribe him, that's your ticket!). A Mojito Macho (with jalapeno pepper!), a guanabana boozy drink and a bigass marg were ordered as well.
Bad photo technique, good food... The soup rocked. I loved it. The cochinita (above)? Excellent, although some sauces to make the tortillas a little more exciting would have been good. The rice pudding? Plebian and a bit runny, but a nice flavour. Overall a good value for the $$. The marg? I can't argue with tequila, I just can't. But I think it was too frakken expensive.

I'm not sure of the advisability of muddling a jalapeno IN a mojito, however, but each to his own.

About Summerlicious - I think I came out ahead this year, first time in ages - I didn't feel rooked by any of the places, and I'd go back to each of them. In fact, I'm still craving Czehoski.

Saturday morning was an early rise to meet Sarah for a trip to the Brickworks market. Caught the shuttlebus from Broadwat at 7:45 and headed down - scouted out the market and decided what we'd be canning. Ended up with some beautiful plums and sour cherries :) Met Liz there for a coffee and a breakfast enchilada, then home to start the preserving!
Gentle readers, we're now the proud owners of some of the most gorgeous fruit you've ever seen. I want to open it now and eat it all. And we learned a little, too. You can get more in those damn jars than you might think, and when it's canned it all floats up to the top 2/3 of the friggin jar.

Inhale butterflies, exhale bees.

Then I went downtown to meet P, we wandered and laughed for a while, came home for a pizza and relaxed. Ran into a neighbour the next morning on the way to the Diner and ended up laughing our way through breakfast!
 A great way to spend part of the morning. I'm on the lookout now for ricotta salata, if you know where some is let me know!

Home after a walk in the rain, movies, made some cookies (peanut butter chocolate volcanos!) and thai food for dinner. Just a perfect day. All it needed was chips, and I was just too lazy to get up and get some Old Dutch. Must buy some and store them for emergencies.

Hope you had a great one as well, amigos - ttys!


Wait for the pics!

1 comment:

Baba Jeff said...

A couple of Gentle Readers have suggested some places for Mexican! I'll try them and get back to you with the news as it happens :)



El Trompo (Augusta, south of College, Kensington Market (a couple solid recos for this spot - I haven't been in a while so I'll check it out and see what's new!)



La Tortilleria (68 Wales at Leonard, Kensington-ish): apparently hidden behind the hospital, and with amazing food! I can't wait to check it out for Cheapeats!



Jalapeno (King, west of Bathurst): traditional Mexican food. I've been here, but not for a few years. I recall some great moles and many margaritas, which might be why the rest is a little hazy...



Perola Market (Augusta south of College, past El Trompo): Not just for pupusas anymore! I can't wait to see what's on the menu, I loved the pupusas bigtime!